Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Getting ready to get busy......

It appears as if spring in trying to spring early around here....

This has been a very odd winter indeed.I've got Lilac bushes that never lost their leaves.Today when I stopped at my Mom's to drop something off,I noticed that one of her rose bushes has newly opened leaves on it...

OK,This is FEBRUARY....in MICHIGAN......this stuff should not be happening,but it is.

Normally this is the time of year when we have the most snow on the ground,people are happily ice fishing or skiing,and we are only dreaming of being able to be outside working in the yard and garden....

Here we are,plotting and planning,starting plants,etc,etc....as mild as this winter have been would could have gardened all winter with the aid of some hoop houses...

We just finished the first of three racks that will hold our rabbit cages,it looks huge right now,but we measured everything,and did a test fit,and each will be perfect to hold two cages,with a nest box for mother rabbits and babies...

I have everything drawn out,at least in my mind,where things will go,since we need to keep our little project from sticking out like a sore thumb...but we should be able to easily house 3-4 does and a buck or two,and still have plenty of space for a larger grow out type pen for the litters once they are weaned.

We are really liking the Silver Fox rabbits that we got,and I see in the not too distant future switching over to them entirely.Had I done more research before we got into this,I most likely would not have gotten the New Zealands at all.

While it's been a challenge day to day to keep my husband willing to help,he does help.The racks are large and heavy,and really require two people to build and will take two people to move in place once we get the area behind the garage enclosed.
He might whine and complain about it being too much work,but then again,he does that every day...I listened to it all the way through building the raised beds last year,through planting the fruit and nut trees,so I pretty much just blow it off and keep on working....

I have something I want to try,to both help save a few dollars in cage building,but also to make good use of the cages that we do have...but I need someone else's input,as my hubby today is of the mood that he's not seeing why we're doing all of this....ugh....

No comments:

Post a Comment